Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Dog is a Racist - Ryan

To set the stage, my family has 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 donkeys and a horse. Two of the dogs are Labs, and 1 is a Border Collie, the latter being the focus of this topic. Her name is Roxy and as a collie, her instinct is to heard animals by barking and running around them. This would be fine... if the animals actually needed to be herded. So periodically we hear the pleasant, high pitch bark, over and over and over again until someone calls her and tells her to stop. Her particular interest is to go to the donkeys and horse and run around them barking, directing them nowhere so they end up getting nervous and start kicking. Its a stupid, repetitive, racist behavior.Roxy hates them. I can see it in her eyes. She looks at them and barks her hateful barks confusing the livestock.

I don't know what to do because its been a good 5 years with roxy living around horses. Trying to train her and using an electric collar did not work, so im going to try to link this to other things.

Ok lets think about a few things,

1: Roxy has possibly picked up the hereditary genes which has naturally made her racist towards bigger animals, or as a pup Roxy's mom barked the early teachings of racism.

2: Smaller brain size. When I see the other labs looking at Roxy bark, they are like "wtf Roxy, why do you keep barking (racistly)"

3: Personality. maybe she has just grown up becoming racist because she is not as cute as Lassy (the dog on tv who saves the kid in the well), and other animals are big?

Could some of these traits of my racist dog Roxy be related to real life human racists?

3 comments:

  1. Are you calling me a racist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you mean speciest, Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I was going to say JON!! I can't stand specists. especially four-legged bug-eyed little specists. Goddam

    ReplyDelete